Michael Kahn is a photographer whose luminous and powerful images represent his two life-long passions: the ocean and classic sailing yachts. He travels the globe to produce his series of works.
“Like another great American master, Ansel Adams, Michael Kahn’s photographs distinguish themselves for their sureness of vision, richness of atmosphere and subtlety of surface. With a simple straightforward approach he’s able to make statements of great complexity, and evocative power that transform the ordinary worlds into images of ethereal beauty and resonance.”
Russell Jinishian, J Russell Jinishian Gallery
Publisher of Marine Art Quarterly
Michael Kahn hand-prints his images using a process he developed over many years researching and working in the darkroom. Michael's warm toned black and white images are unique and demonstrate his expertise as a fine printer.
"It is unusual to see a photograph and instantly know who took the shote. With this hand-toned, gelatin silver print, the photographer can only be Michael Kahn." Cruising World magazine
As a lover of nature, the sea, and sailboats, Michael’s work perpetuates the beauty and majesty of our all too-fragile environment and celebrates the architecture of sailing vessels and those who preserve them.
"Michael's black and white photography captures the emotions felt in the presence of lakes and oceans and the grace and freedom associated with sailing. He is a true master of the art of photography both behind the camera and in the darkroom." Bruce McGaw, Bruce McGaw Graphics
Represented by international galleries, Michael Kahn’s works are also held in both private and large corporate collections, such as McGraw Hill, Liberty Property Trust, and MBNA Bank. He photographed, under assignment, for EXXON, DuPont de Nemours Company, and Nations Bank Visa. His prints are seen in set designs for films by MGM; his still shots appear in the Warner Brothers film, “Message in a Bottle,” and the James Bond film, “Die Another Day.”
Michael has been profiled and his images showcased in prominent magazines and newspapers such as National Geographic, Coastal Living, Architectural Digest, Classic Boat, Sailing World, The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and ForbesLife.
Michael Kahn’s work has been published in several books, Brandywine, through The Jarad Company, in 1990, and a collection of his classic boat photographs titled The Spirit of Sailing in 2004 with Courage Books. His images are printed on posters published by Bruce McGaw Graphics, note cards and seascape calendars by Graphique de France LTD, sailing calendars by Brown-Trout, and note cards by Mystic Seaport Museum.
- Galleria Silecchia Ongoing Exhibition of framed works
- April 2006 Seascapes Exhibit Carla Massoni Gallery
- Summer 2005 Carla Massoni Gallery
- 2005 San Diego Maritime Museum: Solo Exhibition
- 2004 Art for Embassies Program: Consigned 2 handmade photographs to the U.S. Embassy in Katmandu
- 2004 “The Spirit of Sailing: Kip Marina: Inverkip, Scotland
- 2004 “The Spirit of Sailing: 8 Solo exhibitions visiting galleries across the U.S
- July 2003 “The Spirit of Sailing Exhibit – Carla Massoni Gallery
- June 2003 Sun Sand Sea Exhibit – Carla Massoni Gallery
- 2002 “Golden Age of Sail”: 8 solo exhibitions visiting galleries across the U.S.
- 2002 “Golden Age of Sail” Carla Massoni Gallery
- 2001 “Light, Wind and Water,” Edward Carter Gallery, NYC: Solo Exhibition
- 2001 “Light, Wind and Water,” Edward Carter Gallery, Lewes, DE: Solo Exhibition
- 2001 Gardner-Colby Gallery, Martha’s Vineyard: Labor Day Solo Show
- 2001 Alinder Gallery, CA: Group Show
- 1998 Mystic Maritime Gallery, Mystic Seaport Museum
- 1997 Gardner Colby Gallery, Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- The Spirit of Sailing: A Celebration of Sea and Sail: Courage Books 2004
- Brandywine, The Jarad Company 1990
- Coastal Living
- Forbes Life
- Chesapeake Home
- Adirondack Life
- Women’s Day
- The Hunt
- Classic Boat
- Sailing Magazine
- Sailing Journal: Germany
- The New York Times
- Town & Country
- Home & Interiors: Scotland
- Homes Plus: Scotland
- Architectural Digest
- 1990 Mid-Atlantic Magazine, Honored as one of their Leading Photographers
- Maritime Life and Traditions
- Marine Art Quarterly
- Rangefinder Magazine
- Chesapeake Bay
- Coastal Living
- Country Living
- Cruising World
- Delaware Today
- Family Circle
- Historic Preservation
- Mid-Atlantic Country
- Photo Technik International
- Sailing World
CORPORATE COLLECTIONS & CLIENTS
- McGraw Hill
- Liberty Property Trust
- MBNA Bank
- DuPont de Nemours Company
- First USA Bank VISA
- Nations Bank VISA
- Dean Witter Reynolds
- Warner Brothers
- Universal Pictures
- Lukens Steel, Inc.
- Bostonian Shoes
- Starnet, Inc.
- The Territory Ahead
- Grisko, Inc.
- Nu Skin